How Do I Sync My iPhone and iPad Email?

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch Go to Settings >, Mail, then tap Accounts. Tap Add Account, then select your email provider. Enter your email address and password. If you see Next, tap Next and wait for Mail to verify your account. If you see Save, tap Save.

Syncing your iPhone and iPad is essential if you want to keep your data on both devices up-to-date. One of the easiest ways to do this is by correctly using iCloud. iCloud can sync up to 90% of the things you want to sync up. The remaining 10% of people who are not getting quite enough with this first method can use another method that requires a different software on a computer. In this article, we’ll go through both methods.

The first thing you need to check is if you’re using the same Apple ID on your phone and iPad. To do this, go to the settings app on your phone, click on iCloud, and make sure your name is up there. If it says sign in, make sure you sign in to iCloud. You need to ensure that whatever email shows up here under your name is the same email you’re using on your iCloud on the iPad.

Next, go to the settings app on the iPad, click your name on top, and make sure you’re using the same Apple ID. If you’re not, the rest won’t work. You can then go back to your settings on your iPhone and click on iCloud. Make sure everything that you want to sync between the two devices is checked on here. Some apps may not be compatible and may require you to download them again from the App Store on the iPad.

If you want your photos to be the same on your iPhone and iPad, make sure you go to photos and ensure iCloud photos are turned on. You can choose optimize iPhone storage and make sure shared albums are checked on as well if you want those on your iPad too. If you have individual photos that are not showing up on your iPad, you can use AirDrop. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on and try using Bluetooth to send it to your iPad.

If you’re not getting exactly what you need from the above method, you can use an app called Doctor Phone. However, you need a computer for this and need to connect your iPhone and iPad one at a time. The app transfers anything from your phone to your Mac or Windows computer. You can transfer everything from your phone onto your computer and then transfer everything back to your iPad.

In conclusion, syncing your iPhone and iPad is crucial if you want to keep your data up-to-date. iCloud is the easiest way to do this, but you can always use Doctor Phone if you’re not getting the desired results.


Why are my emails not syncing between iPhone and iPad?
You can try to adjust it when iPhone/iPad Mail not updating automatically. Follow the steps to adjust Fetch New Data. On your iPad/iPhone, go to Settings >, Mail >, Account >, Fetch New Data to choose a setting, such as Automatically or Manually.
How do I sync my Mail between my iPhone and iPad?
Sync Email with iCloud iOS Device (Mail): Go to Settings >, iCloud. Make sure you're signed in and Mail is turned on. Other IMAP Client: Go to the app's account settings and either select an existing iCloud account or create a new account. Fill in your settings as described on this support page.
How do I sync my emails between Apple devices?
Simply select the “Automatically sync when this [device] is connected” checkbox in the General pane, then turn on syncing for each type of content you want to sync. Your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch update to matching content whenever you connect them.
Why is my email not syncing?
Ensure Automatic Email Sync Is Enabled The simple solution would be to enable the auto-sync option in your email app. The app should then automatically look for new emails and let you know when a new message arrives. You can enable auto-sync from the Settings menu of your email app.